birding-aus

Lapwing aggression

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Lapwing aggression
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:08:19 +1000
I visited the Toorbul wader roost (opposite Bribie Island in SEQ) to check out a Birds Qld report of a Long-Toed Stint (which would be an interesting bird to see in this neck of the woods). Due to passenger pressure, I couldn't hang around to full high tide (I had to depart about half an hour after the tattlers arrived en masse).

About half an hour before the tattlers arrived, a pair of spur-winged plovers shepherded a trio of chicks across the road and into the vicinity of the roost. As it would turn out, the chicks eventually made their way over to where the waders were roosting. One of the parents was displeased with this and did it's best to move the assembled waders on - repeatedly swooping and charging through the pack. As the chicks didn't venture near the pelicans and spoonbills, I didn't get to see whether the plover would take on the larger birds. It was however interesting to see that the plover was doing far more to disturb the waders than myself or any other passing humans and animals.

For the record, I didn't see any stints, let alone the species I was hoping for.

On the grasswren survey front, more interesting trends are emerging from the data -

On average people have their first Striated GW sighting hundreds of species before their first Carpentarian GW sighting, they are more likely to have their first sighting of a Carpentarian and White-Throated GW at a known site than any other species, and they more likely to be with a guide/on a commercial birding trip when they have their first sighting of a Black GW than any other species. Thanks to all those who have provided data.

I would like to hear from all Birding Aus subscribers who have been birdwatching in Australia. If you haven't already contacted me, I would like to hear from you. Please send me an email indicating how many species of Australian birds you've seen, which city/town/region you live in, approximately how old you are, whether you've seen or searched for a grasswren, and if you have, whether you would be willing to fill in a follow-up questionnaire.

Regards, Laurie.