birding-aus

Woodswallows

To: <>
Subject: Woodswallows
From: "Neil KIRBY" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:16:41 +1000
Thousands of White-browed and Masked Woodswallows have invaded the
Capertee Valley (NSW Central Tablelands north-west of Sydney).  They are
everywhere soaring, feeding on flowering Ironbark, White Box and Yellow
Box and the flowers of the Mistletoe Amyema cambagei growing on the
River Oaks. Many are also busy building nests. The birds are so noisy it
is difficult to pick up the calls of other birds such as the soft calls
of the Regent Honeyeaters; however I did get to hear and see three birds
on the River at Glenowlan Road. I also saw a party of nine Gang-gang
Cockatoos feeding on the seeds of Callitris in dense White Box woodland.
I counted three male and two female juveniles.
Neil Kirby
Winmalee (80km west of Sydney)