birding-aus

Orange Chats

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Orange Chats
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:39:00 +1000 (EST)
All,

  Following our Orange Chat breeding record at Boggy Ck (E 149 37 9 / S 29 54
34), between Moree and Narrabri, I have consulted HANZAB and to my surprise I
have learnt that it has bred as far east as Wee Waa (Vol 5 p1223), which is
slightly west of Narrabri. However, in the "Anomalies" section, it describes
large numbers extending east to Coonamble, Wellington and Molong - which are
all west of Narrabri. Is the anomaly the number of birds or the place where
they were recorded? Wee Waa, given as a breeding site is east of these
locations.

  According to the Atlas, the bird's distribution ends well to the west of
Narrabri / Moree and the breeding records within NSW are from the extreme
south-west corner only, 900km from the breeding site at Boggy Ck. This is
interesting, especially in the light of Frank Hemmings' bird that was present
at Maroubra earlier in the year. There are at least 5 birds at Boggy Ck + at
least on nest.

  I have posted a couple of images at the URL's below. The first image shows
the habitat that the birds were in - weedy grassland along a heavily grazed TSR
with scattered Sclerolaena shrubs (which is what the nest was in).

  http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/Frederick_585/OrangeChatBoggyCk.jpg

  http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/Frederick_585/OrangeChatChicks.jpg

  I'd appreciate any input from anyone who has more experience with these birds
and their breeding / standard distribution.

  Many thanx,

  Mick