birding-aus

Migration flights - day or night?

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Migration flights - day or night?
From: "Robyn" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:39:19 +1000
When birds arrive at my place, it seems they are not there in the evening but
are  there first thing in the morning, as though they always arrive during the
night.

This applies whether it is a long migration such as the  Koel, or something
much shorter such as the Spangled Drongoes and Blackfaced Cuckoo-Shrikes which
move down to the coast over winter.

If travelling over water, the flight must be constant for that period, but do
birds mostly move at night where possible.   I've seen and heard ducks, etc.,
flying high at night, but wonder if this is a general rule, or does it vary
from species to species?

I take it that the Koels travel across water then over land from Cape York
down.   Would this be correct?

Robyn