birding-aus

Koel 3 weeks early!

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Koel 3 weeks early!
From: "Robyn" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:31:38 +1000
I was greeted this morning by excited calling from my female Common Koel.
5:20 a.m. on Sunday, but I could not resist getting up to check.   After a few
flights back and forth across the yard, she settled down.    I have not had
males here so early before, let alone the female.   Normally, the male arrives
during the first few days of October, calling constantly for 10 to 14 days
before the female arrives, so I expect her in mid-October.

She is the sweetest bird and loves human contact, so when I went out onto the
back deck later, she came and sat nearby and chatted for a while.   My company
didn't win once she spotted the Grey Butcherbird with something on the ground
under a tree, and she flew off to frighten him/her and steal the prize.

Aren't the female the most beautifully marked birds?

Robyn