birding-aus

Some Interesting 'Offshore' Sydney Birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Some Interesting 'Offshore' Sydney Birds
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:30:27 +1000
Went out on a private pelagic charter off Sydney today despite very strong
north to north west winds. We had some excellent seabird sightings but nothing
unusual for the time of year and we were also treated to the most spectacular
breaching display by a pair of Hump-backed Whales that I have ever seen - went
on for a good 20 minutes continuously.
However, the most interesting sightings were off the shelf break 20+ nautical
miles east of Sydney where we saw first a Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike and,
shortly afterwards, a Tree Martin both flying steadily westwards (fortunately).
Back in the harbour in extreme winds, we saw a Sooty Oystercatcher in Rose Bay,
the first I have seen inside the harbour. Also, the flocks of Wedge-tailed
Shearwaters ranged inwards to as far as Bradleys Head off Taronga Zoo, partly
because of the offshore winds and partly because of the schools of baitfish
being pursued by Australian Salmon, Tailor, and the like.
Cheers
Roger McGovern