birding-aus

Australian Bird Finding Guides

To: "Blake Maybank" <>, <>
Subject: Australian Bird Finding Guides
From: "Peter Woodall" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:38:36 +1000
Hi Blake

An interesting project you've got here.

I'll just add a little on Roy Wheeler.

We met him when he visited Queensland in the 1980's and, if I remember
correctly, he could not drive, so he relied on public transport or
friends to take him around.  In spite of this he had a very good life
list!

A few other "early" Australian "Where to find ..."  books are:

Marr, Noela.  1986.  Where to find birds in Western Australia. Kangaroo
Press, Kenthurst (NSW).

Morecombe, Michael  1986.  Great Australian Birdfinder. Lansdowne,
Sydney.

Bransbury, John.  1987. Where to find birds in Australia.  Hutchinson,
Australia, Hawthorne, Vic.

Wieneke, Jo.  1989, c.1988.  Birds of Townsville and where to find them.
Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland, Townsville.

Wieneke, Jo.  1992.  Where to find birds in north east Queensland. J.
Wieneke, Belgian Gardens.

There have been quite a few more recently but I'm sure you'll know about
them.

I grew up in Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia) and can't think of any "Where to
find..." books in the early days - but there have been several recently
for south/southern Africa.

We got Gooders' (1967) book when we moved to Oxford in the 1970's and
used it for several locations in the UK before we came to Australia in
1978.

All the best

Peter