birding-aus

Rockwarblers in the Watagans

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Rockwarblers in the Watagans
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:50:27 +1000
Hello all,

On Saturday I spent a very pleasant few hours following, watching and photographing a pair of Rockwarblers in the Watagan Mountains (west of Newcaste and Lake Macquarie, central coast NSW). Every now and then I would think that I had lost them as they would go too far down the rockface for me to follow or into the bush on the other side of the cliff edge. After 5-10 minutes of sitting quietly they would reappear often at point blank range before I was ready to photograph them!

I watched them catch numerous moths and insects- at one stage one bird passed a moth onto the other- bill to bill. Down the cliff face on a ledge that I couldn't easily reach there was a crevice in the rock that both birds would disappear into from time to time only to reappear 20 metres away from another crevice. They never came out the same hole that they went in.

Wonderfully jaunty characters- hardly staying still for a moment. I managed to get a few photos which I 've put up on my website in a small gallery. If interested just go to the homepage (address below) and you can navigate to the desired page from there.

Cheers,

Mick

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: Eastern Grey Kangaroo- the Kickboxing Forester