birding-aus

Re. Rutland bird fair

To: <>
Subject: Re. Rutland bird fair
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:26:13 +1000
Dear Sean and all,
Hope you go well over there, I think you should get a lot of interest in
your very entertaining book.  I just hope that if you go on a twitch that it
doesn't get too big.
On one visit to the Scillies (back in the '80's, yes i'm getting on) a
Hermit Thrush appeared and within a few hours every birder on the islands
had converged on the one spot. The estimates went up to around 2000.( I
imagine this must have been surpassed many times since).   The poor bird had
just been blown across the Atlantic (was clearly a little worn out), so
there was little chance of a decent view of it.
Maybe a fairly big twitch would be even better ? !
But seriously, You'll have a great time,  and if you are out and about and
cross paths with a birder don't forget to ask .. "much about?" Or if you are
up north.. "owtabout ?"
Cheers,
Simon starr.