birding-aus

GHL - brought by cotton growers?

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: GHL - brought by cotton growers?
From: "Peter Morgan" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:42:03 +1000
Peter and Bev Morgan travelled with Eric and Margaret Wheeler from Grafton on
26 July to see the GHL near the power pole opposite the silos at approx 1:55
pm.  We observed it over about an hour, took photos and caught up with others
who were there to see the bird.  It flew twice, eventually moving to the end of
the grassed area towards the pub. Apart from some noticeable effect of the lump
on the foot, it seemed to have no difficulty in what it was doing

A group of three from Coffs Harbour will no doubt make their own report.

We returned to Grafton on 27 July having had 74 species for the trip

While in Narrabri, I spoke to the lady at the information centre (following
Brian Everingham's exhortation to let the community aware of the benefits of
birdwatching) and found there is another spin on this.  "A lot of people say
that cotton growing is bad for birds, but look at this - cotton growing is
actually bringing the birds here.  We have lots of beautiful birds that come
because of the water.  We have lots of beautiful pelicans."

I didn't go very far with the discussion, but it had not occurred to me that
such a conclusion might be drawn.  It probably has currency within the
community and is being passed on to tourists.

Peter Morgan