birding-aus

Rarities

To: "alan morris" <>
Subject: Rarities
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:32:05 +1000
Whiilst I accept that there is a need for "scientific" proof, of course the
mere presence of a photo or notes does not prove you saw the bird where and
when you claimed. Many of us do not carry cameras and if we see a bird that
we are familiar with we may not even take detailed notes. It could be that
we KNOW the bird as we are used to it from our overseas experience - or it
could be that we have seen the bird in other parts of Aus or in other
seasons and (as we don't all carry the Atlas with us) we only realise it was
"exciting" some time later.

Yet if we report these sightings later they tend to be rejected because of
lack of evidence or because the people who saw it are not "recognised
birders" - so we get discouraged.

I don't know what the answer is - and frankly I am not too concerned. If one
is interested in the general welfare of Aussie birds then detailed
information about the distribution and changes of the common birds is
important. In the scheme of things a Grey-headed Lapwing in NSW (or other
rarities which may or may not be reported and which may or may not be
correctly identified) is of interest to people trying to add to their Aussie
list, but is only significant scientifically if reasonable numbers of the
species turn up - in which case they WILL be correctly reported