birding-aus

Kestrel with Leg Band

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Kestrel with Leg Band
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 08:56:43 +1000
Sorry for the late posting, but last Sunday 2/7/06 while on the annual Cumberland Bird Observers Club Raptor count outing (where we aim to see as many raptor species in a day around the Hawkesbury area out of Sydney) we saw a Kestrel on the power lines near the turf farms coming into Wilberforce just past Windsor. It wasn't until looking at the photos i took of it later that i realised it had a band on its left leg. The band is metal and seemingly uniform grey with no obvious markings. The height of the band is approx twice the width of the Kestrel's leg at it's thinnest point.
Anyone interested?

Cheers
Dave Stowe

PS - we only managed 8 species or Raptor which was short of the record of 13.
Black-shouldered Kite
Kestrel
Brown Falcon
Swamp Harrier
Brown Goshawk
White-bellied Sea-Eagle
Peregrine Falcon (seen stooping from a great height and taking a Magpie-Lark!! Awesome!!)
Little Eagle

Notable omission was Wedge-tailed Eagle

(A suspected Hobby turned out to be a juvenile Peregrine so our count went down) (Trevor if you read this, email me so i can send you the pic. Can't find your email sorry)