birding-aus

Birding Central North NSW

Subject: Birding Central North NSW
From: "Grant Private name" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:54:29 +1000
Everyone,

Just got back from two excellent days birdwatching in the states central
north. The main  purpose of the trip was of course to tick Grey-headed
Lapwing which we did after a bit of searching. We left Burren Junction and
headed west seeing Black-faced Woodswallow, Emu, Plum-headed Finch and Black
Falcon before arriving at Walgett, and before sunset saw Spotted Bowerbird
and Chestnut-rumped Thornbill. Spent the night at Walgett.

The next morning we headed south towards Carinda. Along the road there were
large numbers of Blue Bonnets and Mallee Ringneck, and about 4km north of
the town we saw Southern Whiteface, Singing Honeyeater, 3 Crested Bellbirds
and a real highlight, 2 Mulga Parrots.

Between Carinda and the Gibson Way we added 4 Banded Lapwing, 2 Aust.
Shelduck, Splendid Fairy-wrens, White-fronted Chat, White-bellied
Cuckoo-shrike, and lots more Emus.

The Macquarie Marshes were very dry and few birds were added except for a
large group of Chestnut-crowned Babblers. A male Mulga Parrot was also seen.

We then headed west towards Coolabah hoping for Major Mitchell's (which was
one of our only dips for the trip) but 40km north of Nyngan we saw c.8
Superb Parrots, the males particularly showing well in the afternoon light.

As we slowly drove back towards Dubbo a Barn Owl flew up over the bonnet and
towards Merriwa a Tawny Frogmouth did the same.

All up we saw 103 species, including 11 year ticks.

Cheers,
Grant Brosie