birding-aus

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo sub-species

To: "birding-aus" <>, "jade welch" <>
Subject: Sulphur-crested Cockatoo sub-species
From: "Jill Dening" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:59:08 +1000
Hi Jade,

Here is what HANZAB has to say in vol 4, p163:

Nominate galerita, e & se Australia; subspecies fitzroyi (Mathews, 1912) n
Aust.; subspecies triton, Temminck, 1849, w Papuan Is, New Guinea and
surrounding islands; subspecies eleonora, Finsch, 1867, Aru Is.

There is no mention of queenslandica. Vol 4 of HANZAB was published in 1999,
so perhaps it has been reclassified since then.

Thanks for asking, because I had no idea there were any subspecies at all.

Cheers,

Jill