birding-aus

black and white Malurus leucopterus on mainland (!?)

To: "Cas and LISA Liber (& family)" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: black and white Malurus leucopterus on mainland (!?)
From: Helen Horton <>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 09:50:20 +1000
Have seen Malurus leucopterus that looked black, rather than dark blue, at Leeman, on the WA coast, south of Geraldton, a few years ago. At the time, I knew that the records said that they were only on the islands, and sorry, I didn't ever record it anywhere. I too could say fairly definitely that it was black -- not the beautiful blue of the SW Qld birds, and not even a dark blue. However, bearing in mind that Dollarbirds and Glossy Ibis can look black at times when in fact there are other colours in their plumage, one might ask: when is black black? Answer: when it is black enough to look black, I guess.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that this black/very dark form, as distinct from the brilliant blue form, does exist on the WA mainland.

Regards

Helen Horton