birding-aus

black and white Malurus leucopterus on mainland (!?)

To: "Cas and LISA Liber (& family)" <>
Subject: black and white Malurus leucopterus on mainland (!?)
From: Trevor Hampel <>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 09:13:54 +0930
Cas and LISA Liber (& family) wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback on the black or very dark blue and white - white
winged wren. All I can add is that it looked very black from about 10-15m
away in midday light and was definitely much darker than the blue and white
ones I had seen in the southwest. it was in an area that was 60km east of
the nearest bitumen road over sandhills so was pretty remote.

On a visit to the Kalbarri National Park in the late 1970s I received a bird list from the ranger. This list included both wrens, and when I commented on this, the ranger was adamant that the black and white race did occur on the mainland. He gave me very clear instructions on where to look for it (which I've since forgotten - well - it's been a long time). I spent many hours in the location but without luck.

--
Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge

Check out my BLOGS (web logs):