birding-aus

Corellas and Galahs

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Corellas and Galahs
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:48:05 +1030
Why do people hate these two Australian birds ? I heard on our local ABC that a cull is going to happen on Corellas in the mid north of South Australia, the proprietor of a hotel in Quorn stated that the Corellas were pulling out the nails in the roof of his hotel, the roof must be in a very bad state if the nails can be pulled out by Corellas and why not scare the birds away rather than cull them. The Corellas are also being blamed for killing trees by their continual pruning, why don't hedges and fruit trees die from continued pruning and how come that trees, away from towns, where the salinity and water levels are not interfered with, do not die from Corella and Galah pruning. People also complain about the noise of these birds, it is all in their minds, what a beautiful sound only to be heard in Australia, they should learn to love these birds. What can I do to prevent these culls.
Doug Holly