birding-aus

Have you seen Hall's Babbler? If so, I need your help!

Subject: Have you seen Hall's Babbler? If so, I need your help!
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:08:35 +1000
Hi Birding-aus subscribers,

 I am seeking information from people who have observed Hall?s Babblers. If
you could take the time to read this message and reply with information I
would be most grateful. I have just commenced a PhD at the University of New
South Wales investigating the behavioural ecology and conservation of the
Hall?s Babbler.

 To undertake my PhD I need to select a site for an intensive study of a
small population of babblers (~20 breeding groups) to investigate their
social organisation and breeding biology, of which very little is known.
Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on where a suitable site with a
sufficiently large population might be? I am particularly interested in
sites on private land but want to hear of any possible sites (I am planning
a field trip to survey these possible sites in the next couple of months).

As a large component of my project is investigating the habitat requirements
of the species I am interested in obtaining information about the habitat(s)
people have observed Hall?s babblers in. Your descriptions of the habitat
you saw the birds in would be most appreciated.

I will be visiting many sites to sample habitat across the species? range
and to maximise sampling at each site it would be great to find the birds
straight away as easily as possible. So if you could provide more specific
information about the exact location (i.e. description, GPS coordinates etc)
of Hall?s Babblers at any site where you have seen them that would be
extremely valuable.

One of the sites that many birdwatchers have visited to see this species is
Eulo Bore in SW QLD. I visited this site last September and thoroughly
searched an area of about 1km radius around the bore but found no Hall?s
Babblers and very few babbler nests (those that we found were likely to be
Chestnut-crowned nests, a species I have worked on previously). While I did
find a few Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrushes, frustratingly we didn?t find
our target. Could anyone that has seen Hall?s babblers at this site please
provide a more detailed description of where they were found as I plan to
visit the site again soon.

Please reply to me direct at

Thanks very much for your help.

Happy birding

Regards
Dean Portelli

Dean J. Portelli BSc (Hons)
PhD Candidate
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
Sydney NSW 2052