birding-aus

"Larry" and birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: "Larry" and birds
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:57:14 +1000
Greetings all,

Thanks for the expressions of concern and well wishes. Our power has been restored, we have to boil water but it is on continuously and the phone is working!!! Our place received no structural damage, only a little water forced in where it was not wanted. The yard and the forest are a mess. I am concerned about weed invasion in the forest.

I have only found two dead birds. A male Scarlet Honeyeater over which I grieved and a Common Mynah which ...

During the storm birds went to ground. As the winds eased I went out to survey the damage and disturbed the following birds from the ground in dense vegetation; 5 White Headed Pigeons, a Barking Owl, 2 Macleay's Honeyeaters, 3 Dusky Honeyeaters and a Bush Thicknee which was in ferns and covered by fallen leafy branches.

At about 10.30 when the winds had dropped to gale force we saw two birds fly along our patio. They were a Lewins Honeyeater and an immature Metallic Starling. They stopped in a little bush with berries where they fed for some time, no more than a metre above the ground and mostly out of the wind.

By 11.45 the winds were light and birds and butterflies were everywhere. From huge female Cairns Birdwings to Orchard Swallowtails to tiny Blues, Darts and Skippers, the butterflies lightened our spirits as we looked at a couple on months work cleaning up the garden. A few flocks of Topknot Pigeons flew over heading west towards the storm.

The birds in the garden were very hungry and confiding. Around mid-afternoon I was clearing a fallen Grevillea with my chain saw while a Dusky Honeyeater fed on the branch I was cutting about two metres away. Later I was working in amongst fallen wattle leaves to about knee depth when I was surrounded by a flock of gleaning White-throated Gerygones. Scarlet Honeyeaters fed to within a metre of myself and three enthralled children. I was able to approach to one of the preening Barking Owls until there was less than three metres between us.  Even the black tree-ants were not biting. They only animal showing aggression was a male Blue-banded Eggfly. These are the most agro of all butterflies; I once saw one chase off a Willy Wagtail!

The Noisy Friarbirds have left, being replaced by the more usual Helmeted Friarbirds. We had the Noisy Fb move in during the dry but did not retreat when the rains came last year. Some years ago, during a drought, there was a general movement of friarbird species towards the coast. This happened again last year despite the fact that it was only a dry year and not a drought.

A Black-faced Monarch has taken to feeding on our patio, taking the insects attracted to the lights at night. In the afternoon the bird returns to try its luck for spiders driven by the heat from their hiding holes under the roof.

The two nights after the storm the Barking Owls may not have left the yard as I slept fitfully and heard their quiet chortling very time I surfaced. They have now move on and are roosting down by the creek I believe.

A Peregrine Falcon spent some of the second day sitting in the top of one of our denuded Tallowwoods. A pair of Wedgetail Eagles have been seen at my possum and tree-kangaroo site on three occasions. I hope they are eating carrion. Green Ringtail Possums camp out on branches during the day and have been taken by wedgetails in the past. Now there is almost nothing to hide them.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road