birding-aus

Mission Beach and Cassowaries

To: <>
Subject: Mission Beach and Cassowaries
From: "Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:11:45 +1000
Kingfisher Park was at the northern edge of Cyclone Larry, but still were buffeted by some pretty strong winds for about four hours. We had about six trees down and numerous branches and leaves - it looked like a green Autumn. We were lucky enough to get our power and phones on again after 36 hours, so now it is just a matter of cleaning up. We got very little rain, but as we have already had 1500mm this year so far, were quite glad!

Most of the media attention has been directed on Innisfail, Mission Beach and Tully which got the main impact, however, Larry then visited the Atherton Tablelands and has caused a huge amount of damage there up-rooting trees and un-roofing houses. We have been unable to contact any of our birding friends there as there is no power or phones as yet. Apparently as you drive by Lake Barrine, you can now see the lake from the road so you can imagine the amount of trees down and leaves stripped from branches.

Our birds were still coming to the feeders throughout the cyclone demanding banana (banana may be off the menu for a while!)and seed. The Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfishers were pretty quiet all day Monday, but have made up for it since with the young flying around and demanding food with incessant cries.The cassowaries at Cassowary House have survived the cyclone and were visiting there today.

Thanks for all the concern expressed.

Keith & Lindsay,

Keith & Lindsay Fisher
Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge