birding-aus

Vanishing House Sparrow wrap-up

To: "Cas and LISA Liber (& family)" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Vanishing House Sparrow wrap-up
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:36:30 +1100
The first lot of offenders which came to my mind were the big wreckers:

- the fossil fuel industry and their supporters in governments and
- the fishing industry and their supporters in governments (they're all pirates to me).

Both are destroying this world with great rapidity.

I think that all birds (animals, etc.) are "nice". Some have innocently become villans due to the actions of man. However, one must take on board the damage which our innocent feral animals and exotic plants do to biodiversity and the balance of nature generally.

I may be mistaken, but I have it that Cattle Egrets came to Australia under their own steam (following the "cattle trail") and Colombo Crows, or House Crows, hop on board ships and thus travel directly with man. Interestingly, the only attraction for the Cattle Egrets would appear to be the feral cattle which man has also introduced. Therefore, both are directly or indirectly established (or have attempted to do so) as a result of the workings of humans. It's quite a delicate point actually and one that's sure to raise discussion.

Ricki