birding-aus

Yellow Wagtail and Eastern Yellow Wagtail

Subject: Yellow Wagtail and Eastern Yellow Wagtail
From: "Frank Rheindt" <>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:42:37 +0100
Dear Tim,

the split of the Yellow Wagtails was based primarily on three phylogenetic studies (Odeen and Alstrom 2001, Alstrom and Odeen 2002, Voelker 2002) which unanimously found that the three eastern subspecies taivana, macronyx and tschutschensis are deeply separated from all other subspecies on genetic grounds. In fact, these three eastern subspecies (which combine to form the new Eastern Yellow Wagtail M. macronyx) may be equally distant from the "proper" Yellow Wagtail (M. flava) as are other wagtail species, such as Citrine Wagtail (M. citreola) or Gray Wagtail (M. cinerea).

These DNA results were indeed very surprising, since some of the "Eastern Yellow Wagtail" forms have very similar counterparts among the numerous proper (or "western") Yellow Wagtail subspecies. For instance, Eastern ssp tschutschensis closely resembles the familiar European subspecies flava, and Eastern macronyx is said to be indistinguishable from Scandinavian thunbergi on plumage.

Having said this, calls seem to be a good field mark, with all the Eastern subspecies (i.e. the newly split M. macronyx) sounding very sharp and abrupt, whereas most European subspecies (belonging to M. flava sensu stricto) give a very smooth "pseeu". Nonetheless, Alstrom and Mild (2003), in their fabulous ID guide on pipits and wagtails, suspect that some of the western subspecies may also give sharp calls.

I imagine that any bird seen in AUS would have to belong to Eastern M. macronyx on grounds of probability alone. However, I suspect that all accepted records would have to be revisited to be fully certain. Doubtless other people on the list would be more knowledgeable to comment on whether any AUS record has been properly assigned to either of the two newly split species.

Cheers
Frank

============Frank E. RHEINDT================

DEPARTMENT OF GENETICS