birding-aus

The Royal National Park and those little brown birds!

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: The Royal National Park and those little brown birds!
From: "crompton" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 20:16:45 +1100
Hi all, Just a question, How can u tell the differance between striared and brown thornbills, especially since the always seem to be moving about and are in shadow or so high.
Also i have been walking lady carrington drive( mainly from the Audley end) in the royal national park for many years of and on now ( about 5 ) and have never identified Crested shrike-tit,Origma,Large billed Scrubwren,Brown Headed Honeyeater or yellow throated scrubwren.Are they all very common here? Do u have to travel far down the trail to get them? I must admit I have only returned to the track this past week after an absence of many years, also now being a much wiser birdwatcher ( i am much more strict with my confirmed sightings of species standards, i used to just confirm a sightinging with the slightest of proof, looking back at things i cant believe how silly i used to be ! )
Also I thought the numbers of birds were WAY down on usual, not number of species but individual birds.For instance, i spotted Variagated Fairy wrens which is typical but only 2 individual birds and the same for white browed scrub wrens! And Superb blue fary wren was even worse , 1 individual bird!!! Not to mention no Green Catbirds for the first time i can remember. The sides of lady carrington drive as long as i can remember were always teeming with variagated fairy wrens and white browed scrub wrens in particular and I found this quite odd.
  I did however spot a Whistling Kite nest along the banks of the Hacking river there,plenty of Black Faced Monarchs,Grey&Rufous Fantails and Azure Kingfishers. Other birds prominent in there abscence were Eurasion Coots,cormorants of any kind,Grebes of any kind,Teals( either Chestnut or Grey) and Even no Welcome Swallows!
  A full list is given below ,. Does anybody have a comparison list for the same area recently?

Lady Carrington Drive ,from Audley end 30/11/05 6am - 10:30am

Whistling kite
maned duck
pacific black duck
dusky moorhen