birding-aus

Digital SLR's for Birding

Subject: Digital SLR's for Birding
From: Craig Williams <>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:29:52 +1000
DUST AND SENSOR ISSUES - BUYERs BEWARE

I would suggest you take care to consider some of the issues emerging for many
Canon 20D users regarding dust on the sensor: there is some growing evidence to
suggest that this might be a distinctive problem for some cameras.  There are a
few experts out there who believe more work needs to be done by Canon, for
example, in either the design and/or prospects for sensor protection and
cleaning.  Canon's warranty for example is voided if you lose your mind with
dust-spot frustration and take the risky option of directly swabbing the sensor
to remove the apparently very stubborn dust particles that seem to have stuck
on the sensor.  Canon's manual recommends only cleaning with a blower, for
instance, but if you know blowers, you'll be aware they are not usually very
successful when you can't get a good side angle to lift sticky dust particles.
Canon offer a free sensor clean service, but you have to live near a Canon
service centre for this to be of any great practical use, else you send your
beloved camera away - three weeks, six weeks, all depends on canon's capacities
here, so you would be well advised to take these matters into consideration.
Some bloggers I've encounted make the joke that their cameras came with "free"
dust: very cute.

>>> "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <> 10/28/05 9:58 AM >>>
Thanks to David, Mike, Gary, Paul & Mark for their replies. I have  a wealth of
info now to start the search!

cheers

peter