birding-aus

Digital SLR's for Birding

To: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>, <>
Subject: Digital SLR's for Birding
From: David Stowe Photography <>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:14:30 +1000
Hi Peter
I am a Canon man myself as I am confident they give a more natural colour reproduction than Nikon in the digital SLR’s. As a budget model the EOS 350D would be a good buy as it is 8MP and also has a reasonable frame rate (frames per second) which means less shutter lag than previous models. I’m pretty sure they have “enthusiasts kits” that include a couple of lenses too. Check out www.canon.com.au although ignore their RRP. You can usually do a lot better shopping around of course.
If you can afford a 20D it is a great camera but depending on your needs might stretch the budget needlessly. It is more robust, more fps, metal lens mount, etc. For amateur use the 350D would be fine.
Another small advantage of the 350D or 20D over the Nikon in birding terms is that the lens conversion factor (due to sensor size being smaller than 35mm film) is 1.6x in the Canon and 1.5X with the Nikon. This means that for telephoto lenses (bird shots) you actually get a slightly longer lens. Eg a 300mm lens becomes equivalent to a 480mm.
Having said all this the best thing is go and hold each camera yourself and see which one feels better for you. Certainly the D70 has got very good reviews from Nikon users I know.
Cheers
David Stowe

PS – I have no vested interest in Canon besides being a loyal user for over 15 years.