birding-aus

Adelaide: Fairy Martins & Fairy Terns

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Adelaide: Fairy Martins & Fairy Terns
From: "John Turner" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:30:22 +0930
Hi All,
    A few weeks ago I posted a note about the spring arrival of Fairy Martins to a grassland at West Beach, where they nest each year in road culverts, particularly one under West Beach Rd. I visited that spot last week to find earthmoving machinery there, and a notice to say that the culvert is to be replaced.
    There will be no breeding there this year!

    The Fairy Terns at the River Torrens outlet are still there, albeit in smaller numbers. At 4pm this afternoon (Mon) about 10 were settled, but now accompanied by at least 32 Whiskered Terns, the number of Crested Terns had increased from 10 or so to 100 or more, and the number of Silver Gulls increased from 10 - 20  to  200 - 300. I think the fishing must have been good inshore.  The birds are still very tolerant of close approach, and the comparison in size and marking is interesting to see.
John Turner
Adelaide.