birding-aus

Signs of spring -

To: brian fleming <>, "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Signs of spring -
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:55:02 +1000
anthea fleming wrote:
We also noticed quite good numbers of Caper White Butterflies, blown in over the Ranges from the inland.

Hi Anthea

I was amazed to see *Alphington absolutely crammed with Caper Whites when I looked out the lounge window yesterday morning - and the northerly still blowing!  Later in the day I walked from Alphington to Fairfield with baby Marta, and it really seemed more like summer - lots of Garden Skinks Lampropholis guichenoti, Spotted (Delias aganippe) and Imperial Jezabel (D. harpalyce) butterflies, the legions of Caper Whites (Anapheis java), Australian Painted Ladies (Vanessa kershawi) and Admirals (V. itea), Common Browns (Heteronympha merope), ubiquitous Cabbage Whites (Pieris rapae) - a bumper crop!

A bird reference then ... has anyone in Melbourne seen/heard any White-browed/Masked Woodswallows overhead yet?  This usually goes hand-in-hand with the Caper White influxes.

L.

* (inner Melbourne between the city and Ivanhoe where Anthea lives)

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole GradCertOrnith MEIANZ

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: lconole [at] ecologyaustralia.com.au
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142