birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Update - 2 October 2005 (and thanks)

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Update - 2 October 2005 (and thanks)
From: "Birdline Victoria" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:03:54 +1000
Birdline Victoria Update No. 221
For the week ending: 2 October 2005
It’s been nearly five years since I started Birdline Victoria and sent out
the first of 221 weekly updates to a Victorian public that was sorely
missing such a service.  I started Birdline because, as a newly converted
birdo, I felt like I was always the last to know about the good birds that
were around, not having broken into the tight-knit birding community.

The response was pretty much immediate and enthusiastic and soon the service
was getting lots of sightings and before long was instrumental in informing
Victoria’s birders of what the local birds were doing.  I received great
support in these early days as I attempted the still difficult task of
winnowing the sightings to determine which were significant and which not so
significant (without hurting anyone’s feelings along the way!).

Since then the momentum has grown and where we originally got a few hundred
visitors to the site each month, we now get a few thousand.  From a few
sightings each week, we now get tens of sightings each week.  That is down
to the generous nature of the Victorian birders (and many visitors to
Victoria).  I would really like to single out a few people for special
thanks, but I would really hate to miss some of the great supporters of the
service.  A quick look at the archives will quickly reveal who were the
people that made Birdline such a success and my sincere thanks go to them.

Now it’s time for me to pass on the baton.  I have gone from being a
miserable sales rep who was making life more interesting by my
extra-professional activities to become a PhD student living in Canberra and
making bird-watching my profession.  In a couple of months I will be heading
up for a 5 month field season north-east of Katherine in the Northern
Territory to study the breeding ecology of Hooded Parrots, so now seems an
appropriate time to pass on my responsibilities with Birdline.

Taking over Birdline will be Richard Alcorn. Richard is a keen bird-watcher
and with his wife Margaret run Eremaea Birds an online birdwatcher's bird
list organiser and world bird atlas (http://www.eremaea.com/).  Given the
quality of this website, I’m sure that Birdline is in good hands.

So, on to my final weekly update and a final thanks to all those who have
supported me and Birdline since its inception in November 2000.

Sightings

2 October
There was a pair of Lewin’s Honeyeaters in Kalorama (in the Dandenongs).
Thanks Steven Creber.

Late September
Six Grey-Crowned Babblers (4 adults and two sub adults) sighted feeding and
preening directly at the back of the Kimbolton kiosk at Lake Eppalock.
Constantly mobbed by Noisy Miners when in flight to and from their nest
situated on the lake side of the levee bank. Thanks Adrian Martins.

29 September
A Black Kite over the Glenelg Highway at Smythesdale (west of Ballarat).
Thanks Steve Clark.

28 September
In the Chiltern Forest at Bartley's Block 5 Turquoise Parrots were observed
and a male White-winged Triller. Thanks Michael Ramsey

28 September
At the Chiltern valley No.1 Dam there were a pair of Musk Duck and 3
White-backed Swallows. Thanks Michael Ramsey

27 September
At Lake Moodemere a pair of Zebra Finch were observed as well as a returning
record of a Sacred Kingfisher. A bright oranged plumaged Rosella was also
seen with Yellow Rosellas. It was very much like an Adelaide Rosella but was
probably a hybrid between Crimson and Yellow Rosella subspecies. Thanks
Michael Ramsey

27 September
At North Wangaratta and Bowser two Barn Owls were observed in the early
morning light. Thanks Michael Ramsey

27 September
There was a Lewin’s Rail at “The Spit” WTP at less than quarter tide coming
in, also 2 Spotted Crakes were observed. Thanks John & Sue O’Malley.

26 September
Along the Sunrise Foot Track in the Warby Ranges 3 Turqiouse Parrots were
seen as well as a White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike. Two Turqiouse Parrots were
also at Nason Springs nearby. Thanks Michael Ramsey

26 September
In the north-east corner of Lake Mokoan a flock of 22 Freckled Duck were
observed along with 6 White-breasted Woodswallow a Diamond Firetail. Thanks
Michael Ramsey

26 September
In the Chesney Vale Hills north of Lake Mokoan there was a Rufous Songlark
and a Leaden Flycatcher. Thanks Michael Ramsey

26 September
In the Killawarra Forest around The Camp area there were 5 Painted
Honeyeaters, a male Gilbert's Whistler and Hooded Robin. At the start of
Camp Road there were a pair of Australian King-parrots and another Painted
Honeyeater. Just outside the forest on Boweya Creek Road there was a Swift
Parrot and 6 Emus. Thanks Michael Ramsey

25 September
At Jubilee Swamp North of Violter Town there were 2 Australian King-parrots.
Nearby at Tarnook (10km west of Benalla) there were 3 White-browed Babblers
on Sloans Road and 3 Grey-crowned Babblers on Burness Road. Thanks Michael
Ramsey

25 September
Highlights of the Eastern Treatment Plant survey for September were 3 Cape
Barren Geese, a Peregrine Falcon, a Latham's Snipe, 250 Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper, 290 Black-winged Stilt and 5 Caspian Tern, which may have bred
here. Thanks Mike Carter.

25 September
Painted Honeyeaters (at least 2) were back and very vocal at Clunes Forest
(near Ballarat, VIC) on Sunday morning. Thanks Frank Rheindt.

25 September
About 6 km north of Clunes: one Square-tailed Kite seen (MGA Ref: Zone 54
418728 (GDA)), and two Painted Honeyeaters heard (MGA Ref: Zone 54 427733
(GDA) - close to Maryborough-Ballarat Rd). Thanks Paul Peake.

25 September
South east of Creswick (on the Melbourne Road, 4.0 km from the Midland
Highway (just near the intersection with Bush Inn Road)): one Square-tailed
Kite seen (MGA Ref: Zone 54 596508 (GDA). Thanks Paul Peake.

23 September
At the Western Treatment Plant there was a dead Barn Owl at the Western
Lagoon. Adjacent on The Spit Nature Conservation Reserve there was a
Whimbrel and two Caspian Tern. At Lake Borrie there was a Glossy Ibis. On
Pardadise Road there was a Black-tailed Godwit and three Cape Barren Geese.
Thanks Michael Ramsey.

22 September
There was a mixed flock of 60+ waders at Truganina Swamp, Altona 22nd
September, mostly Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and a few Red-necked Stints. Also
10 Common Greenshank.Thanks Colin Clark.

20 September
David Archer reported that he had found a Southern Fulmar, freshly dead, on
the beach at Frankston in Port Phillip Bay. Thanks Mike Carter.

20 September
Following the several earlier reports this month, this morning there were at
least 32 YTBCs feeding noisily in the mature wattle plantation on the east
side of Merri Creek, Clifton Hill, just upstream from the Roseneath St
footbridge. This is about 6 km from the GPO Melbourne. Thanks Neville
Pamment.

19 September
Ross Beeby (pers.obs.) reports a female/ brown-plumaged Satin Bowerbird
feeding in his garden in residential Airey's Inlet, on 19/09/05, possibly on
the edge of the species range in the Otways region. Thanks Steve Davidson .

19 September
There was a pair of Hooded Plovers on the rock ledge foreshore about 300m
east of the Skenes Creek beach. Thanks Owen Slattery.

19 September
At Newport Lakes Park in Newport a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater was observed.
Thanks Michael Ramsey.

19 September
At Cherry Lake in Altona a male Rose Robin was observed in native shrubs
between Millers Road and the bike path around the lake. This is not usual
habitat for this species and it may have been on migration.

19 September
Around the Altona Coastal Park 3 Striated Fieldwrens were observed singing,
a Little Egret was also found as well as a recently dead Little Penguin.

19 September
At Jawbone Conservation Reserve in Williamstown there were two pair of Great
Crested Grebe, a Little Egret and 4 Eurasian Tree Sparrows.

18 September
A Buff-banded Rail and a Latham's Snipe were seen at Banyule Flats on Sunday
18th September. Thanks James Bailey.

18 September
A male Rose Robin was seen at Cape Schanck, Mornington Peninsula, Vic on a
Penboc outing last Sunday - 18 September. Whilst we see them occasionally on
the peninsula Cape Schanck is not their usual habitat and it was no doubt
passing through. Thanks Val Ford.

18 September
There was an Emu in the Anglesea heathlands behind Airey's Inlet along the
Distillery Creek Rd. Thanks Peter Fuller.

18 September
At Yan Yean Reservoir there were 5 Purple-crowned Lorikeets, 30 Great
Crested Grebe, an Australian Spotted Crake, a pair of White-bellied
Sea-eagles and spring return sightings of a Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Olive-backed
Oriole and Australian Reed-warbler.

18 September
Highlight of the monthly Rossiter Rd, Carrum wetland was the return of 150
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. Thanks Mike Carter.

Birdline Victoria is a service for birdwatchers to report and find out about
rare and unusual birds in Victoria and is brought to you by Birds Australia
Victoria. Birdline can be contacted on (03) 9882 2390 or on the Internet at
www.babblersnest.com/birdline

Regards,
Stuart

This update was sent to you on request or via the Birding-Aus mailing list.
If you received this e-mail in error please reply to the sender to be
removed from the recipient list.