birding-aus

SOLOMONS BLUE WHALE EXPEDITION AUGUST 2005 on Pelican 1

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: SOLOMONS BLUE WHALE EXPEDITION AUGUST 2005 on Pelican 1
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:43:09 +1000
SEABIRD OBSERVATIONS: SUMMARY

For general information see the 'Captains Log' on www.svpelican.com.au

Briefly, we sailed from Mackay on 2 August and once clear of the Great
Barrier Reef struggled on a NE heading through Australia's Coral Sea
(boundaries 12ºN 157ºE) direct for Guadalcanal. We reached the Solomon Sea
on 11 August. We cruised in Solomon waters and among the southern Solomon
Islands before returning into the Coral Sea enroute from Honiara on 27
August arriving in Cairns early on 30 August.

The cruise was designed by cetacean expert Dr Peter Gill to find Blue Whales
at their winter breeding grounds. I went mainly to study the seabirds and
the following is a brief summary of what I saw.

Our vessel was the 18.9m long catamaran sailing vessel Pelican 1. Our
journey and observations were obstructed by bad weather; frequent rain,
strong winds and rough seas generated by the notorious South-East Trade
Winds. This made it an uncomfortable and at times even a dangerous voyage
across a seldom-visited, lonely stretch of ocean. But there were rewards.

The most exciting find was in the Solomon Sea where a shipmate Damien Cook
and I managed to photograph a very distinctive undescribed subspecies of
Audubon's Shearwater. A preliminary report is currently circulating among
interested parties.

Detailed logs, the ships and my own, are also available.

IN CORAL SEA OUTWARDS, MACKAY TO 15*34'S 155*49'E, 2-10 AUGUST (those seen
inside the Reef are in brackets).

Tahiti Petrel                             8

HERALD PETREL                    9 Mostly dark morphs

Petrel spp?                              1

Wedge-tailed Shearwater          13

Hutton's Shearwater                  7 Flock > S along outer edge of Reef

AUDUBON'S SHEARWATER   3 Excellent views. BARC submission in prep.

                        Among several probably good reports, to date there
is only

                        one accepted record for Australia.

Wilson's Storm-Petrel               1

WHITE-FACED STORM-PETREL  1 a rare species in Queensland waters.

Black-bellied Storm-Petrel        7

WHITE-BELLIED STORM-PETREL 3 one had dark flecking along the flank.

LEACH'S STORM-PETREL      1 BARC submission in prep.

White-tailed Tropicbird              3

(Australasian Gannet                2 juvs near Scawfell Is at N. limit of
range.)

Masked Booby                         2

Red-footed Booby                     5

Brown Booby                          (28) + 5

Great Frigatebird                       1

(Silver Gull                                1)

(Crested Tern                            9)

Black-naped Tern                      2

Sooty Tern                                273

(Common Noddy                        140)

IN CORAL SEA INWARDS; 12*01'S 153*15'E TO CAIRNS 27-30 AUGUST (none inside
the Reef).

Tahiti Petrel                               1

HERALD PETREL                      2

Wedge-tailed Shearwater            54

Audubon's Shearwater               [2]

Black-bellied Storm-Petrel          22

TRISTRAM'S STORM-PETREL 1 BARC submission in preparation. There is only

                        one accepted record of this species from Australia.

White-tailed Tropicbird                3

Red-footed Booby                      3

Brown Booby                             3

Great Frigatebird                       1

Pomarine Jaeger                       1

Bridled Tern                              1

Sooty Tern                                340

Common Noddy                        20

White Tern                                2

IN THE SOLOMON SEA FROM 14*32'S 157*15'E NE TO THE WATERS AROUND THE
SOUTHERN SOLOMON ISLANDS OF (IN THE ORDER OF APPROACH) RENNELL, BELLONA,
GUADALCANAL (SOUTH), RUSSELL, SANTA ISABEL, FLORIDA, AND GUADALCANAL
(HONIARA) AND THEN BACK WSW ENROUTE TO CAIRNS OFF THE LOUISIADE ARCHIPELAGO,
PNG TO 12*01'S 153*15'E, 11-26 AUGUST. Most of 18 & 22-24 were spent inshore
or ashore.

Tahiti Petrel                               6

COLLARED PETREL                 1

Herald Petrel                             3

Providence Petrel                       1

Petrel spp?                               1

Wedge-tailed Shearwater            80

*AUDUBON'S SHEARWATER*  12 a distinct undescribed subspecies.

HEINROTH'S SHEARWATER     2

Shearwater spp?                        5

Wilson's Storm-Petrel                19

Black-bellied Storm-Petrel          11

WHITE-THROATED STORM-PETREL   1

White-tailed Tropicbird                10

Masked Booby                           6

Red-footed Booby                       1

Brown Booby                              88

Great Frigatebird                         4

Lesser Frigatebird                       57

Frigatebird spp?                          37

Arctic Jaeger                              1

Crested Tern                               45

ROSEATE TERN                 16 in breeding plumage in Wanderer Bay,
Guadalcanal.

Black-naped Tern                        26

GREY-BACKED TERN                14

Bridled Tern                                22

Sooty Tern                                  1060

Common Noddy                            570

Black Noddy                                 500

Noddy spp?                                  120

White Tern                                    6

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136