birding-aus

Moorhen or Crake????

To: <>
Subject: Moorhen or Crake????
From: "crompton" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:47:49 +1000
Hi All, I desperately need help !  During a Birding trip through the sandhills at Cronulla, I stopped at the large pond  where amongest the Hardheads, both Hoary headed and Australasian Grebes and Purple Swamphens , I spotted a singular  waterhen  that had the body colour of say a Dusky Moorhen but a very yellowy green beak but no red face shield like that of a Dusky Moorhen. It definitely was not an Australasian Crake as no spots were on the body and I dont think it was a Black tailed native hen as the beak was more slender and the area is way out of range, although the body colour was pretty spot on. Could it have been a immature Dusky Moorhen ( as they dont have the red face shield , I think )? No other Dusky Moorhens were present on the pond ( if in fact it was a Dusky Moorhen ) ?
As a side note that whole area holds an extrodinary number of species, that same day I saw a Horfields Bronze Cuckoo  and the day before a Brush Bronzewing ! I will submit a bird list at a latter date, thankyou
G.L..Crompton