birding-aus

Re: Blackface

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: Blackface
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:03:15 +1000
I agree with David, I don't think you can direct how people refer to birds.

The relatively simple and unambiguous suite of  bird-names in Britain derives from 1. the relatively small number of birds species to begin with, 2. a long process of a single English name being standardised in the literature (in many cases dating back to the C19), 3. the recent explosion of interest in bird-watching taking these standardised official names out to all the new bird-watchers.

Australia has a larger number of species, a more recent history of standardisation of names (which some would say hasn't been completed), and a smaller number of birdwatchers.

On the other hand some English names are very poor: for example the Black-faced Wood-swallow has a mask, and the Masked Wood-swallow has a black face!

John Leonard