birding-aus

Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld

To: <>
Subject: Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld
From: "Simon & Andrea" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:31:50 +1000
Hi all,

My understanding is that it is well short of 1 million, but my post was simply a "hit and hope", I could do no less than that.  There's no drought in the area as such but the area has had poor season after poor season.  1.2 million sounds like bluff from Elders to me.

I'm not sure what the Birds Australia South Queensland group's take is on it.  I realise in the timeframe that no conservation organisation is likely to be able to act, but I appreciate David's comment that it may be picked up by sheep graziers who are conservation-minded.  Lorraine Welsh, who informed me of the sale, is certainly one such grazier in that area, their property has some marvellous grassy woodlands with native pasture full of native finches and a few squatter pigeons among other things.

The EPA in Queensland has a nature refuge program now, maybe we can hope part of the property may go into something like that.  I doubt that there is much Regent Honeyeater habitat in conservation management anywhere in Queensland.

regards,

Simon Kennedy