birding-aus

Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld

Subject: Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:24:51 EDT
hi all
even if we can't buy glenelg, if we make our conservation interest in the property known to the right people, especially propsective buyers (as well local and state authorities), this may well discourage irresponsible development of the property. buyers may look elsewhere if they feel they may come under scrutiny from pesky green types and the authorities down the track.
it may even be an incentive for an eco-conscious farmer to know that birders may want to visit his property and even pay for the privilege.
another option: if the money can't be raised, what about a partnership where we buy a stake in the property in return for responsible management, perhaps build a couple of cabins to rent out to visiting birders and scientists. in return the farmer gets to farm the land. they need all the help they can get these days.
just my two bob's worth
shane b
vaucluse