birding-aus

Three day trips in Sthn Riverina NSW

To: <>
Subject: Three day trips in Sthn Riverina NSW
From: Keith Stockwell <>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 23:33:18 +1000
Hi all,

A group of birders spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday birding in southern
NSW. We observed 106 bird species.

On Sunday, we travelled along Perricoota Road, which more or less parallels
the Murray River, from Moama to the village of Womboota. Despite the area
being affected by drought which is entering its ninth year, we observed 84
species. That's pretty good for this time of year as the waders and other
summer migrants have nearly all moved north.

This area is not a good one for honeyeaters but, apart from the
White-plumed which is found almost everywhere around here, we observed
Singing Honeyeater, Noisy Friarbird, Noisy Miner and Brown-headed
Honeyeater in a shrub and tree plantation alongside Rich River Golf Club.
Most of us saw Red-capped Robin, Crested Pigeon, Common Bronzewing, Brown
Treecreeper, Zebra Finch and many other bush birds.

In ponds opposite the entrance to the golf club were a number of water
birds, including Purple Swamphen, Eurasian Coot, Black-tailed Native Hen,
Dusky Moorhen, Black Swan, Black Duck, Hardhead and Little Pied Cormorant.
For better or worse, an adjoining Bed & Breakfast operator was feeding bits
of white bread to them. A number of raptors circled overhead, including
Black-shouldered Kite, Whistling Kite, White-bellied Sea Eagle, Swamp
Harrier, Collared Sparrowhawk, Nankeen Kestrel and Wedgetailed Eagle! It
was most unusual to see so many different species of raptor over a
relatively small area and over a relatively short period of time.

Then it was on to an area which we locals call "The Five Mile". A sign
proclaims this area of riverside bushland as Moama State Forest. This is a
reasonably large area of bush, a few kilometres in length and in breadth,
and it incorporates a travelling stock route reserve. The bush birds there
did not disappoint us. Highlight was White-backed Swallow. Other birds at
the Five Mile included Restless Flycatcher, Diamond Firetail, Brown
Tree-creeper, White-throated Tree-creeper, Red-browed Finch, Dusky
Woodswallow and Varied Sittella. There was a mixed Thornbill flock, which
included Buff-rumped, Yellow-rumped and Yellow Thornbills. This is a
wonderful birding spot which rarely, if ever, disappoints.

When I'm leading groups birding along this road, we usually stop at a
private farm property, the owners of which have planted lots and lots of
indigenous plants. There is a resident flock of Grey-crowned Babblers and a
good chance to observe Diamond Dove and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater But I
messed up. It was Mother's (hope the apostrophe is in the correct place
folks) Day and the farming family was having a family reunion. So I booked
in the Womboota Community Hall instead, there being no public facilities
along the road. A few good birds were sighted in the village, which has an
arboretum and town common: Blue-faced Honeyeater, Eastern Rosella,
White-fronted Chat and a few others could be added to the list.

On our return journey, we stopped at a wetland and grassy Box forest
opposite the huge Perricoota Woolshed. Although the swamp was all but dry
(the adjoining dairy farm now recycles its water rather than draining it
into the swamp), there were lots of good bush birds. Some of the birds here
included Jacky Winter, Red-capped Robin, Tree Martin and White-bellied
Cuckoo Shrike.

All up 84 species on the day.

The following day, Monday, we met at Mathoura Information Centre. Mathoura
is a small town mid way between Echuca-Moama and Deniliquin in the Southern
Riverina.

Our first stop was Cranes Footbridge over Gulpa Creek and the walking track
alongside the creek. This is always a great birding spot. Lots of bush
birds, including Brown Quail, Wood Duck, Black Duck, Australian White Ibis,
yellow form of Crimson Rosella, Red-rumped parrot, Azure Kingfisher, Noisy
and Little Friar Bird and BFCS.

Then a led the group to a Box Woodland to the north where we observed a
flock of emus. I have observed scores of emus on Gulpa Island over the past
month. Perhaps they are moving here from inland areas because of drought.

Trekking deeper into Gulpa Island, we did some more birding and then ate
lunch on the banks of the Edward River. Whilst having lunch, we were
entertained by a pair of Superb Parrots guarding their nesting hole. I'm
not suggesting that they were about to nest early. Rather, they seemed to
be protecting or maintaining their nesting hole. A pair, (this pair?), has
been in the same area for several years. Unlike most Superbs, this pair
does not seem to migrate north over winter. Some observed Gilberts Whistler
on a nearby sandhill. We noted the marked difference in vegetation between
the fenced and unfenced sections of the sandhill. Unfenced areas had less
diversity of species and a much lower level of cover. The sandhills were
fenced to protect less-common plants and to protect the feeding grounds of
Gilberts Whistler, Superb Parrot and Grey-crowned Babbler (although I have
not observed Bbabbler here)

After lunch we trekked on through the forest, up and over sandhills and
left our vehicles to hike to a lagoon. As the day progressed, we were able
to add masked Lapwing, Peaceful Dove, Kookaburra, Spotted and Striated
Pardalote, Mistletoe Bird and Silvereye to our list. Although the
seldom-used, sandy track proved a challenge to the 2WD vehicles, we all
made it through to the Edward.

After a brief stop at Picnic Point (alongside the Murray River), where we
saw several Blue-faced Honeyeaters and White-browed Scrub-wren, it was on
to the elevated board walk and bird observation structure at Reed Beds
Swamp. This has been the subject of previous postings by myself and others.
The water level has dropped due to evaporation and drainage back into the
Gulpa Creek, which is presently at a very low level. We only observed a
dozen or so bird species here compared to 50 or more a few months ago.
There were lots of White-necked and White-browed Herons.

60 species; another great day birding.

On Monday, we met at Barmah and spent the day touring Barmah Forest. First
stop was Barmah Lake where we saw several Nankeen Night Herons in a Basket
Willow. A Red-bellied Black Snake lay basking in the sun.

Travelling on dusty tracks, we drove deep into the forest, stopping at Hut
Lake and a number of other places. At one s top we were entertained by an
Azure Kingfisher. The Sacreds have left.  Last stop was Murrays old saw
mill site near Picola where we observed four species of robin: Hooded,
Flame, Red-capped and Scarlet plus Jacky Winter.

68 species for the day; 106 for the three days.

Several participants also visited the Torrumbarry area and Terrick Terrick
National Park in northern Victoria and were thus able to see even more
species, including Brolga.

Keith Stockwell, Echuca-Moama