birding-aus

Oriental Honey-Buzzard

Subject: Oriental Honey-Buzzard
From: Sue Gregory <>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 17:31:07 +1000
Just back from a birding trip to Kakadu, where highlights included Chestnut-backed Buttonquail near Cooinda, Masked Owl along the Old Darwin Road and superb views of Chestnut-quilled Rock-Pigeon above Waterfall Creek (Gunlom). No sign of any White-throated Grasswrens at the usual spots here on May 5th , a fire has been through and there is much less of the spinifex-type grass at present. Coming out, a large very dark raptor soared up over the gorge, which unexpectedly had my mental wheels spinning as it was none of the usual suspects, initially most resembling a Black Honey-Buzzard from New Britain, though had I been in SE Asia Crested Honey-Buzzard would fit the bill nicely. It was seen very well for several minutes and some quite good photos taken, which I will be posting shortly on Surfbirds and the cassowary-house.com.au website. I have just returned home and checking of the relevant books reveals no doubt that this was a dark form of Crested Honey-Buzzard. I phoned Niven McCrie that night to alert him and now put it out generally, so anyone heading there should keep an eye on the raptors. The bird was in good plumage and the strikingly banded tail was a real eye opener, as was the dark plumage with heavily banded and chequered underwing. A perfunctory net search from Cooinda shows one mainland Australian record from WA, though the species is a strong migrant. A BARC form will be completed shortly.
Good luck to anyone going to check it out.
Phil Gregory