birding-aus

Birds - Photographs - and National Parks

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Birds - Photographs - and National Parks
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:41:36 +1100

The day they charge for entry to national parks, is the day that a law suit is held for someone tripping over a log, is the day that all logs are removed from the bush, is the day that all trees are removed so there are no logs, is the day that there are no birds to photograph.

Can we stop talking about this thread, we're just giving these feedback and ideas!

"Nevil Lazarus" <>
Sent by:

22/02/2005 05:32 PM

"'Birding Aus'" <>
cc
Subject
[BIRDING-AUS] Birds  -  Photographs -  and National Parks

This is an interesting topic, and one that possibly needs an international
comparison.

In all probability there is nowhere that is more photographed than the
African Game Parks, and I can speak for the Parks I have visited in South
Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia. I have just returned from South
Africa, and I spent some time in the Northern Cape in the Kgalagadi
Transfrontier National Park.

Photographers and cameras are very evident, and I saw some MONSTER lenses,
some on tripods at hides, some hand held, and some on special window
brackets. (the rules about staying in the vehicle are strictly enforced).

Nowhere is there even a hint of charging for photographing.

Commercial photographers survive or die by the quality of their pictures. As
a consequence, the good shots are EXCELLENT, and are often displayed at the
rest camps, and in general do a world of good for the PR and promotion of
eco tourism.  Excellent images end up in books, brochures and on walls -
this cannot be bad? The hours invested in achieving these are enormous. The
photographers are dedicated individuals who love nature and enjoy what they
do.

Could a writer be charged a licence fee for writing about or in a National
Park?

Digital photography, particularly now with outstanding SLR's becoming
available are revealing mammals and more particularly, birds, with beautiful
images, in often unusual or previously not recorded circumstances.  Rarities
committees are on the verge of now only accepting images as proof of
sightings. As a point of interest, I captured some images of a Honey Buzzard
at the Augrabies Falls, an area it had not previously been recorded, and the
photos are now on the zestforbirds rarities website.

The positives of photography for National Parks, birding and birders far
outweigh any negatives that photographers may cause.

I believe we birders should speak aloud in a unified voice against this
unfair tax.

Nevil Lazarus