birding-aus

Mixed Species Bathing Flock

To: "" <>
Subject: Mixed Species Bathing Flock
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:19:21 +1100
This morning (22 Feb)c. 9.00 am, we were finishing breakfast and reading
the paper.
  Our outlook included a shallow terra cotta bowl on the edge of a brick
wall enclosing a flower bed - we keep it filled for the benefit of the
birds. As a rule the only visitors are Spotted Doves and a Blackbird.

   Silvereyes have been about in the garden for a week or so. This
morning they all came for a bath - accompanied by Brown Thornbills and
White-browed Scrubwrens (permanent residents), a solitary Grey Fantail,
a shy pair of Superb blue Wrens, and two Eastern Spinebills (frequent
visitors to our garden).  Much continuous flitting and splashing - at
least half a dozen Silvereyes, but there's only room for about three at
once in the bowl. Those waiting their turn perched in the rose-bush
nearby or flitted a few feet to the Lemon Verbena. A lovely sight, and
our elderly cat thought so too.  Fortunately the bowl is beyond his
jumping range these days - though I was in readiness to bang the window
and rush out if necessary. In due course all the birds whizzed off to
the mulberry treee and the bushes along the fence=line.
  The Silvereyes are probably locals - all pale=flanked variety.
Anthea Fleming
Ivanhoe (Vic.) - on the banks of Darebin Creek.