birding-aus

Gmail anyone?

To: Dave Torr <>
Subject: Gmail anyone?
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:32:23 +1100
Dave Torr wrote:
- but it does reinfoce the report that we should all take backups of
the PC regularly (I am paranoid and store mine both on a secure web
site and on CD) and especially before installing any new application.

Dave - why so FEW backups?  :-)

My data loss/corruption paranoia is obviously more extreme than yours - I backup on a fileserver (and it daily to tape), plus on my home PC and on zip disk (and periodically to CD) - a trifle extreme perhaps, but my database of nat hist observations alone has ~60,000 records from 25 years of work and wandering - I have cold sweats thinking about the loss of that!!

L.

PS: Firefox is a web browser - not an e-mail client - but I agree - the Mozilla team should definitely know about all such extreme system conflicts as that.  All of the Mozilla apps have been extensively tested by thousands of computer nerds (and superficially by millions of more casual computer users), so I too was very surprised (and horrified) to hear about Ralph's disaster; particularly as I've been a very happy user of various Mozilla apps for the last few years on various different computers/systems.

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: m("ecologyaustralia.com.au","lconole");">
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142