birding-aus

Gmail anyone?

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Gmail anyone?
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:26:48 +1100
David Adams wrote:
I've also found Gmail great for managing mailing list emails. Apart
from the threading feature, it's very easy to search on the emails you
accumulate. I also have several invites available, if anyone needs
them. Just send me a private note and I'll post you an invite back.

Did someone just hear a can of worms being opened?

I use a free, open source e-mail application from Mozilla - it's called Thunderbird (see the icon/link at the bottom of my message for details).  It has a very lovely threading feature (called 'grouping' but with threaded & unthreaded options - but the same deal), and you can sort by 13 different parameters.  It is also a very efficient spam killer, and can 'learn' about spam from how you classify some typical examples.  It is well protected against viruses, worms, trojans, etc - and will not allow them to self-execute.  On top of all that, it is driving the evil empire (MS) nuts because of how much better it is than Outlook, and its growing popularity :-)   Also runs on Windows, OS X or Linux (I'm using it in Windows XP at work and Mac OS X at home).  The companion browsers are Firefox (Windows or Mac) and Camino (Mac) - both killer apps as well.

I have no pecuniary interest in Mozilla - it's free, open-source - and should be encouraged whenever possible.

Now the relevance to birds - it organises all my mail beautifully - and keeps work/play items nicely grouped - ornithology here, birding there ... baby photos somewhere else.  It's more efficient for ornithology by killing spam, and easier to find all my random birding items quickly as it sorts them in a way which suits my brain.

L.

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: m("ecologyaustralia.com.au","lconole");">
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142