birding-aus

Lists

To: Tom Johnson <>
Subject: Lists
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:44:55 +1100
In the US I recall (I used to live there) ABA publish very precise
rules for claiming bird sightings - including see a bird that is one
state when you are in an adjacent state. They also only count birds
that were seen "ethically", which includes severe restrictions on use
of tapes and also on entering private property without permission!

Here we are less formal I guess - BA publish an "official" list for
Australia and Territories (which seems to include Christmas Island and
Lord Howe Island at least, although not any embassies!). BOCA also
publish a (slightly different) list.

But since the only person that I am aware of who maintains any form of
"league ladder" for people to record how many they have seen is Tony
Palliser (BA and BOCA don't seem to do this) then I guess it is up to
him to set the rules for what is included in his list - and
individuals can then choose whether or not they want to follow his
rules.

But this is supposed to be a fun hobby and not a competition, so let's
not get too carried away!