birding-aus

RFI Hobart

To: "" <>
Subject: RFI Hobart
From: Gary Davidson <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:17:27 -0500 (EST)
To Peter and Anthea,
First to the issue of "seeing" birds.  From Hobart I would say there are four places that should be visited: Peter Murrell Conservation Area, Hobart Waterworks Reserve, Mount Wellington, and Bruny Island.  All of the endemics can be found on Bruny alone.  Photography can be another matter!  I did not notice any area where I would say that the birds have become overly used to people, (except for the Black Currawong which will feed from your hand in many places!)  I would not consider the Botanical Gardens to be a particularly good spot, you'd do much better at the other places I mentioned.  If you have the time and the opportunity, Mt Field N.P. and Maria Island are also good birding spots.  To Peter's question about getting the 'rain forest' type birds a little more out in the open, Pink Robin will come right to the edge sometimes, I have seen them from the road passing through suitable habitat.  Olive Whistler is found in qu! ite varied habitat, including some much more open that you might expect.  I saw several on a walk around Dove Lake at Cradle Mountain.  This is true for Tassie Scrubwren as well, although even in more open habitat, they always seem to find somewhere to hide!  Scrubtit might be more of a problem.  I have seen them a number of times, but always skulking around in fairly closed-canopy forests.  A great deal of time and patience would likely be needed to photograph this one!  If you are able to go to Bruny Island, I strongly suggest you contact Tania Cochran.  She has some lovely birding accomodation on a 500 acre property.  She claims that all of the endemics have been seen on the property.  Visit her website at www.inalabruny.com.au or email her at m("inalabruny.com.au","inala");">

Gary Davidson