birding-aus

Change of shifts

To: Lynn <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Change of shifts
From: Mike Tarburton <>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 06:56:53 +1000
on 1/2/05 6:13, Lynn at  wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I checked out the source of my early morning wake up calls at dusk yesterday
> evening. I was pretty sure that the Barn Owl/Owls were back roosting in the
> same old Gum tree ...

The Barn Owl that we often hear from our PNG home, sleeps in a clump of
bananas, but unfortunately it is a bit further away than Dicks and we do not
hear it as often.

For about half the year we hear Barking Owls and Papuan Frogmouths much more
often - but they can call at any time of the night - so they are not much
good as alarm clocks.  The frogmouths often call just after I have finished
following them around trying to record their feeding and parental
behaviours.  I am not sure if they are celebrating my departure or asking me
to come back - but I do need to sleep some time each night.

The latest trick in Melbourne by one of the power authorities is to deploy
plastic models of Powerful Owls at their substations to discourage
Brush-tailed Possums from shorting out the power to the surrounding district
- that sort of activity wakes a few people up.

Happy owling

Mike Tarburton