birding-aus

Change of shifts

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Change of shifts
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:13:42 +1100
Hi all

I checked out the source of my early morning wake up calls at dusk yesterday
evening. I was pretty sure that the Barn Owl/Owls were back roosting in the
same old Gum tree they had used in previous years, nesting there on at least
one occasion. The tree has little left in the way of foliage after being
struck by lightning and also losing a few branches in wind storms. It stands
in the open by itself in a paddock fairly devoid of trees. I was in position
about 8.30 P.M. and almost immediately a Barn Owl left one of the hollows
and flew off into the twilight. There still seemed to be something sitting
at the top of the tree and upon checking it out discovered an Australian
Owlet-nightjar had been sharing the same tree . Nankeen Kestrels also have
nested in a hollow in this tree.  I can only hope that this tree is not
completely destroyed in storms as was the fate of a nearby tree where a pair
of Wedge-tailed Eagles used to nest.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW