birding-aus

FW: 2004 Birding Highlights

To: "Chris Sanderson" <>, <>
Subject: FW: 2004 Birding Highlights
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:10:34 +1100
Hi Everyone

Here's a few of my special moments. Some of them are the ones which inspire awe and you'd expect to find on a "Highlights" list. Others are the "little things" which are part of the magic which comprises that love we share for spending a few moments with this amazing class of animals.

1. Holding my breath in tall canegrass by the banks of the Victoria River in the Northern Territory as I observed my first family group of perfect little Purple-crowned Fairy Wrens, thus fullfilling a birding goal which I set when dipping on this species in 1978. These images are burnt into my memory and I'll treasure them forever. I since enjoyed many more moments with these birds around the Fitzroy Crossing area: a stunning species.

2. Watching spellbound (in the company of Dean Portelli and Lynn Scott) on Lady Carrington Drive in the Royal National Park, as the antics of a group of male Superb Lyrebirds turned into a threat display by the dominant male towards a juvenile. The display emulated the courtship of this species except there was no mimicy, just the "space invaders" call and the "plink" call. This continued for several minutes in the open before three very amazed birders.

3. Peeking over the low cliff-face on the shores of Roebuck Bay, WA, and witnessing a flock of 25 to 30,000 mixed waders on the shores of Roebuck Bay, south of Broome, WA. This is now a daily occurence for me.

4. Whilst experiencing the "beautiful desolation" (borrowing from the words of astronaut Edwin Aldrin) of Bush Point - the southern headland of Roebuck Bay - finding thousands of Sanderlings scurrying amongst the huge numbers of Knots, Godwits, Plovers, etc., etc..

5. One moment frozen in my memory when I particularly enjoyed that slight tilt of the bill and very plain visage of the Large-billed Scrubwren as it foraged in the filtered sunlight among vines in a rainforest in the Royal National Park

6. Whilst struggling on my own in the 45 plus degree furnace of Geikie Gorge, near Fitzroy Crossing, finally tracking down the splendid beauty of the powdery-blue female member of the Variegated Fairy-wren race rogersii.

7. Observing the amazing repetoir of dances performed by the Great Bowerbirds in my garden here at the Broome Bird Observatory.

8. My first sighting of the race leucophrys of the Varied Sitella, foraging in the stunted treetops of open tropical woodlands east of Broome, WA.

9. Witnessing the first flight and subsequent practice flights of the runt of a clutch of Brown Goshawks in my backyard at the Observatory.

I could add so many more, from simply watching doves bathe in tropical showers with one wing raised at a time, observing a White-bellied Sea-eagle at arm's length as he hovered before me and just above the low cliff face on the side of Roebuck Bay, every dawn chorus, huge flocks of Black-Cockatoos wheeling overhead, the chest-to-chest song-battles of Golden Whistlers in misty forests around Sydney, the extraordinary beauty of a male Rose Robin in his breeding prime and the excitement from each of the more than 150 new sightings which I've made in the past 12 months.

It's been a pleasure to share many of these moments with my fellow Birding-Ausers and we can all only look forward to more excitement, magic, mystery and wonder as our birding experiences of the past urge us on to share, discover and enjoy more in the coming year. Bring it on!

Ricki
Broome WA