birding-aus

Oriental Pratincole @ Mount Isa 4/12/2004

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Oriental Pratincole @ Mount Isa 4/12/2004
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:22:27 +1000
G'day all,
Earlier in the day I posted this same message with the heading "Oriental Plovers ..."
Although they were present, I meant to highlight the much rarer (to Qld) of the Oriental Pratincole

I visited Lake Moondarra's Wide Bay again last Sunday to check out if the 17 Oriental Pratincoles were still present
They were, and at the same spot along the 4 km shoreline of Wide Bay.
Marc Gardner from Julia Creek (258km E of Mount Isa) took time off from Christmas shopping at the Isa to drive out & get another lifer.
I did note several individuals on the north side.

All but a few of the Oriental Plover had gone. But remaining were the Sharp-tailed (1000s)  & Marsh Sandpipers (~100), Bar-tailed Godwits (90) and a single Common Greenshank (The previous week I counted a total of 50 Greenshanks on the Eastern side of the Lake when looking for a Gallinago Snipe (Swinhoe's ?) reported by new resident Ian Fox.

I then visited Stone Axe Creek Bay to the north and was surprised to see a pair of Brown Falcons resting on the grasses and likewise a 100m away a Black-shouldered Kite. Honeyeaters included Grey-fronted, Grey-headed, Spiny-cheeked, Brown, Rufous-throated.

Strangely the only finches present were a few Double-bars. No Zebra, Painted, Long-tail, or Pictorella Mannikin

The almost always present Black-necked Storks were on duty slowly patrolling the shore-line.
A Curlew Sandpiper was alone amongst the Sharpies

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
Route charts to these locations are available from the Gazetteer section of
Birds Queensland Web Page http://birdsqueensland.org.au/