birding-aus

digital camera RFI - Panasonic FZ20 or the Konica Minolta Z3

To: Karen Pearson <>
Subject: digital camera RFI - Panasonic FZ20 or the Konica Minolta Z3
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:56:39 +1000
As an avid bird photographer (I use a DSLR rig and don't intend to go
back to compact digital), I've found that compact digital cameras work
quite well for bird photos.  A few points.

I found the lack of manual focus in my digital camera to be the most
frustrating feature, especially in low light conditions (ie. early
morning - the best time for birding).

The low pixel count of most compact digitals is also frustrating.  The
difference between the 3.2 megapixel photos I used to take and the 6.1
megapixel photos I take now is incredible, especially for cropping
photos.  I can't reccomend higher megapixel counts enough.

Batteries are the other big issue I encountered.  My compact digital
used rechargable AA batteries, which lasted for about 6-12 hours
constant use, depending on the amount of photo reviewing I did.  My
DSLR battery lasts for 3-4 days (or 2000 photos) of constant use and
is rechargable as well.  If a camera has a special rechargable
battery, see how many photos it is rated for, anything upwards of 1000
photos per recharge is pretty good.  Remember this is without flash.

I'm not really familiar with the models you're reviewing, so I can't
help with those specifically.  Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris - Brisbane