birding-aus

Good Birding at Quorrobolong & Ellalong NSW on 20 November 2004

To: <>
Subject: Good Birding at Quorrobolong & Ellalong NSW on 20 November 2004
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:17:27 +1100
GOOD BIRDING AT QUORROBOLONG & ELLALONG on 20 NOVEMBER 2004

28 eager birders traveled to Quorrobolong, near Cessnock in the lower Hunter
Valley to check our the woodlands and wetlands of this special place located
about 180 km NW of Sydney. Our first stop was the farm dams alongside Heaton
Rd, Quorrobolong, where Australasian Grebes were nesting; Dusky Moorhens,
Black Ducks and Swamphens were present, Red-rumped Parrots were feeding in
an adjoining paddock; Tree Martins were flying overhead and a pair of
Wedge-tailed Eagles were perched on a low branch close to the dam! That was
a surprise! As we traveled across the private road to where we were to spend
our morning, we stopped for a group of Grey-crowned Babblers, some busy
feeding two dependent young while others appeared to be taking food to a
nearby nest! Brown Falcons were located nearby on the way out!

In the box woodland we were greeted by a noisy group of 16 Gang Gangs,
mostly immatures but we never got to see what was upsetting them and the
other birds but presumably a raptor was harassing them! White-throated
Gerygones and Rufous Whistlers called constantly, Fuscous and Yellow-tufted
Honeyeaters were very busy feeding low down, White-throated & Brown
Treecreepers called loudly, and everyone had good views of Little Lorikeets
and Olive-backed Orioles which were both feeding in the flowering Grey Box.
Red-browed Finches were building a nest, Shrike-tits and Dusky Woodswallows
were heard and seen, and we were constantly kept busy checking all the other
honeyeaters like, Scarlet, White-naped & Brown-headed & Noisy Friarbirds.
Choughs were also part of the bird song here! A Painted Button-quail was
flushed as we walked along a track. We finally had to reluctantly leave this
site and head for Kitchener where lunch was organised.

The Kitchener lunch site is beside a former coal mine washery dam, and it
was good for ducks and herons, cormorants and a darter, while the ironbark
woodlands in the nearby forest held Bar-shouldered Dove, Striped Honeyeater,
 Yellow Thornbill and more Scarlet Honeyeaters.

Our final stop was Ellalong Lagoon, located between Ellalong and Paxton. At
the Ellalong end, we had good views of Kestrel, Australian Pipit, 3 Brown
Quail and a Sea-Eagle. At the Paxton end, the Sea-Eagle joined us with its
mate, and there were also Swamp Harrier & Sparrowhawk to watch flying over
the Lagoon. The Sparrowhawk flew round and round with its prey, which
appeared to be a small brown bird with a long tail (fairy-wren?). Around the
edge of the Lagoon we were able to count 10 Red-kneed Dotterels & about 60+
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, while a Swamphen was seen with 2 chicks. There were
plenty of Black-winged Stilts, Coot, Grey Teal, Black Duck & White-faced
Herons on the Lagoon. Single Little & Great Egrets were seen along with
Royal Spoonbills and three species of Cormorants.

All up a good days birding, with over 80 species being seen and we all
enjoyed good company and great birding on  lovely spring day.

Alan Morris