birding-aus

Field guides to bird nest/eggs

To: Michael Todd <>
Subject: Field guides to bird nest/eggs
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:36:44 +1100
Dear all

I've got a copy of Gordon Beruldsen's book. It looks very useful. Obviously the colours of the egg plates will differ (I note that the Regent Honeyeater eggs are a long way from the colour of the few I have seen in the Capertee Valley - which were a soft apricot pink with very few spots (too much orange in them to be called pink), and the nests were often in a cluster of mistletoe stalks as well as forks in branches, and built in River Oaks, Rough-barked Apple and many other trees - no doubt David Gearing will also have some comments to make! But the nest and breeding details appear concise, to the point, and I am sure will help in the field. One can't carry Hanzab around! It's a very useful addition to one's bird library - thanks to Gordon. I just wish there were photographs of all the nests but then the book would be far too bulky and cease to be a field guide.

Michael Todd wrote:

Hello all,

While we are on the topic of field guides. Has anybody seen the new Beruldsen Field Guide to Nests and Eggs of Australian Birds? Any observations or recommendations? I'm curious about it but haven't seen it yet.

Cheers

Mick Todd
Toronto, NSW