birding-aus

Re: Misplaced Bittern

To: <>
Subject: Re: Misplaced Bittern
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:17:54 +1100
Laurie,

Striated Herons do regularly inhabit freshwater environments.  They have been observed 110 km upstream from the mouth of the Brisbane River (I. Gynther 'A Striated Heron Butorides striatus Inhabiting a Freshwater Section of the Brisbane River' Australian Bird Watcher 1995, 16: 145-151).

In the Clarence Valley, NSW, we regularly have them at Grafton and a pair nests at Lilydale, west of Copmanhurst, well into fresh water.  A number of years ago I saw one at Little Dandahra Creek in Gibraltar Range National Park.  Although an extremely unusual location it is only 20 km as the heron flies from the nesting pair at Lilydale.   Glenn Holmes unkindly said to me "There are some records best forgotten" but I know what I saw and eliminated all the other possibilities from consideration.  If I had seen it at Wooli or Red Rock I would have had no hesitation in calling it.  It had the grey plumage and yellow legs of the Striated Heron.

Regards

Greg