birding-aus

Prospect Reservoir, Sydney NSW - 26th September 2004

To: <>
Subject: Prospect Reservoir, Sydney NSW - 26th September 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:54:39 +1000

I spent a few hours this morning birding and back again in my home territory at Prospect Reservoir near Blacktown (approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD). The best bird was a Lewin’s Rail heard calling a couple of time giving its typical “jit..jit..jit..” from some reeds in one of the inlets. I hope to track this bird on my next visit. Another good sighting was a brilliant Grey Goshawk proving fairly good for the camera. It stayed perch in a tree for about 10 minutes. I am thinking that this bird may be the same as the one that I was told was resident in nearby Greystanes if not another.

There was not much in terms of the Spring arrivals though. Besides hearing several White-throated Gerygones, I only heard a couple of Reed Warblers and saw only one female Rufous Whistler (it should be a bit deafening with both of the later 2 birds).

There was a movement of large numbers of Silvereyes as well as both White-naped and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and a couple of Noisy Friarbirds.

Other birds present this morning included well over 100 Great Crested Grebes (many close to shore, one raft comprised of most of the birds seen and I had a good view of a pair do its breeding display with reeds in bill and head shaking – beautiful!), Whistling Kite, Peaceful Dove, Variegated Wrens, Varied Sitellas, Olive-backed Oriole, Scarlet Honeyeaters and Striated and Spotted Pardalotes.

Look forward to my next visit.

Edwin Vella